Friday, August 13, 2010

I just ate one of the more delicious things that I’ve ever eaten. I got home from writing a paper a friend’s house and my mom told me that we were going to eat dessert and then lunch. This lady’s head is in the right place. I mean that’s how it should be done right? Sweet and then savory? She brought me a rather unappetizing looking bowl full of brown gooey stuff. In Senegal smelling your food is seen as a sign of disrespect so eating something unfamiliar is a bit like play Russian roulette. I have yet to lose when it comes to food here. The sauce was made of crushed peanuts and some type of milk product and had the consistency of a runny pudding. There were thinly sliced mango and apples in it but what really made the dish was the millet. I’ve heard a lot about millet but I’ve never eaten it. I always thought it was for birds. They looked like lentils but were a bit more firm and neutral in flavor. Basically just a vehicle for this deliciously rich peanut sauce. Forgetting that lunch was next I ate two bowls. This very minute I’m sitting in my room regretting the second bowl. Both the millet and the peanut sauce are high in protein and I feel as if I’m about to explode. Not only do I know that I’m going to have to eat a delicious lunch in a matter of minutes but I’m going to have to eat a delicious lunch in excess. They’re going to have to get the neighborhood kids to carry me upstairs and put me to bed. This has been, and will be, the biggest problem of my day. I keep waiting for the happiness to baseline, to eventually decline. Every morning I wake up a bit more skeptical of my happiness just to be proved wrong by the happenings of every day. Again I know that there are going to be hard days, hard months even, but this is such a great way to start what I hope will be a very good ten months in Senegal.

No comments:

Post a Comment